School Life at Dows Lane
Daily Schedule: 7:45AM-2:15PM, class begins at 8:00AM. You can find more information regarding Arrival and Dismissal here: Arrival & Dismissal
At Dows Lane, we are a respectful and kind community. We do our work with pride, persistence, and cooperation each and every day! Make it a great day, Dows Lane! The choice is yours!
Daily Focus for Announcements:
Mindful Mondays, Teamwork Tuesdays, Wonderful Wednesdays, Thoughtful Thursdays, Fabulous Fridays
Across the year, as an overarching theme, children will learn about mindfulness. Mindfulness means focusing one’s awareness on the present moment while calmly acknowledging and accepting one’s feelings, thoughts and actions. We believe that by teaching into and supporting mindfulness, students can approach each month's theme and develop a their own sense of self and role in the community and world. Every Monday is called "Mindful Monday" and we share a mindful tip with students during morning announcements.
Character Building & Habits of Mind:
- Birthdays: We recognize that not all families celebrate birthdays. If you would like to celebrate your child’s birthday, please contact your child’s teacher. We encourage the recognition of birthdays with a healthy snack as part of your child’s regular schedule. Please do not send in party favors, gifts, decorations or candles. Snacks must be in line with our “Allergy Aware Because We Care” policy and Wellness Policy.
If you plan to have a party for your child outside of school, we encourage all children to be invited at this age. All children are learning how to make and be friends. All children should have the opportunity to build relationships. Please do not send in invitations to be distributed at school unless all students in a class are included.
- Halloween: Children are allowed to wear costumes to school that do not require adult support. No weapons or masks are allowed as part of any costume. Face painting is acceptable as long as your child can be identified. In addition, costumes should be free of any tripping hazards, long extensions, etc. Your child should be comfortable to move about a regular day. Save these items for trick or treating after school! All classes will visit our PTSA Halloween Carnival. It is a fun filled day!
- Spirit Days: At the end of each month, as part of our Dows Lane Character Building Program, students will have a spirit day. Each spirit day will be celebrated with a school assembly and corresponding theme. This information will be shared in weekly newsletters and backpacked reminders.
- Bulldog Day: Bulldog Day is our annual K-3 field day filled with games and activities. All students participate in field day events during the morning and a school-wide dance party in the afternoon. The Irvington Police Departments hosts a popsicle party to culminate the day with a cool snack! Bulldog Day usually takes place in early June.
- End of Year Celebrations: Each grade level culminates with an end of year tradition such as a “splish splash” picnic or “beach party”. Weather permitting, we encourage these events take place outside.
- Third Grade Moving Up Day: This third grade event is designed to mark the end to the Dows Lane journey and celebrate the transition to Main Street School. This ceremony is followed by a third grade family picnic.
- Music Concerts: First grade and third grade classes perform for their families as part of our music program.
At Dows Lane we believe that healthy eating directly supports brain development and the ability for children to sustain attention and learn throughout the day. A daily healthy snack is a vital part of each day at our school.
Valuables and Toys:
We do not permit children to bring toys and valuables to school. This includes any type of electronic toy, collectibles, etc. We recognize that some children may need an item on the bus for personal or soothing reasons. This is allowed, however the item must be kept in a backpack for the day. If a class is holding a special event or celebration, the teacher will communicate what is allowed. We encourage these types of events such as school store, Genius Hour, class celebrations.
Personal Electronic Device Use:
We value the use of technology to enrich learning and are continuing to strive to identify more opportunities for its integration. We want to support our children in making good decisions and managing impulsivity when wearing/carrying personal devices. This is an opportunity to coach our children about acceptable use of electronic devices and respecting privacy of others. The use of devices such as interactive watches to take pictures or record peers with or without consent can be an invasion the privacy or prove to be a distraction to the learning environment. In some cases, it can contribute to the perception of bullying and contribute, knowingly or unknowingly, to a stressful social environment.
If a student is found using a device to take pictures or record a video, he/she may lose the privilege of wearing or bringing the device to school. The device may be taken away and returned only to a parent. We encourage all to make a decision as a family about whether an interactive watch or similar device should be worn to school or enjoyed at home.
Every day, students are encouraged to dress appropriately, free of distraction and comfortable for learning and play. Sneakers are preferred daily.
- Outdoor Recess: During inclement and/or cold temperature months, outdoor recess is a daily decision. We believe that students should go outside for fresh air and free play, even when it's cold! We established an indoor/outdoor recess threshold at the "real feel" temperature or "wind chill" temperature of 18 degrees.
The children LOVE to be outside even when adults feel it's too cold! On cold weather days, dress your child appropriately so they can make the most and best of a much needed break during the day! Please provide your child with layers - hat, scarf, gloves and appropriate jacket for outdoor recess.
In addition, any students who like to wear the style of shorts and long sports socks should keep an extra pair of sweatpants in their locker or cubby as they will not be allowed to go to outdoor recess without long pants. No shorts will be allowed at 32 degrees or below.
- Physical Education Dress Code: In order to ensure the safety of our students, sneakers must be worn on days when your childs has Physical Education. Please do not send your child in with slip on shoes or sandals or boots. Your child will be unable to participate in Physical Education unless sneakers are worn. Children should also be comfortably dressed for physical activities such as jumping and climbing. Dresses or skirts should be worn with tights or shorts underneath.
Lost and Found:
Located in the Dows Lane main atrium, there is a large deck box which holds all Lost and Found items (jackets, sweaters, pants, shoes, headgear, etc.). In addition, we have containers in the cafeteria with lunch boxes, water bottles and daily forgotten items. During parent teacher conferences in December and March, all lost and found items are displayed on tables in the hopes they will be reunited! We encourage all families to label the inside of all items with your child’s first initial and last name.
Twice during the school year, Fall and Spring, Dows Lane offers an afterschool enrichment program through a partnership with the Family YMCA at Tarrytown. This program runs at Dows Lane with offerings such as: Beginning World Languages, Legos, Magic, Golf, Soccer, Sewing, STEAM, Coding, etc. The 6-8 week sessions run approximately an hour from 2:30 PM to 3:30 PM.
School supplies lists are sent home with summer mailing. The service, “1st Day School Supplies Kits”, are the exact school supplies your child’s teacher has requested (by grade level)... and approved by Dows Lane! It makes prepping for back-to-school super easy.....
Click here: http://www.1stdayschoolsupplies.com/