What is a School Pathologist?

  • Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs) are specially trained professionals who hold a master’s degree, a certificate of clinical competence from the American Speech Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), and a state license and/or department of education certification. SLPs work with school children who have communication problems that affect success in classroom activities, social interaction, literacy, and learning. The Individuals With Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) provides speech-language services for school-age children with communication disorders that adversely affect children’s educational performance.