District Initiates New Capital Project Planning
The Irvington Union Free School District is developing a debt-neutral capital bond project to improve the following areas:
• School safety,
• Maintenance and infrastructure needs,
• Energy conservation, and
• Learning space modernization
The Capital Projects Planning Committee, co-chaired by Assistant Superintendent Carol Stein and Superintendent Kris Harrison, includes representatives from the Board of Education, staff, administration, and community members working with the architectural firm H2M, professional construction manager Triton Capital, and Altaris security and Edutek technology consultants. Recommendations from the committee will be presented at multiple public presentations. (dates provided below) “Through this partnership, we will develop creative, cost-effective designs to provide safe, up-to-date learning environments for our students and staff,” Dr. Harrison said.
To avoid the cost of running a separate bond vote, District voters will be asked to vote on Tuesday, May 21st, the same date as Board of Education trustee elections and the annual school budget vote. Moving forward on capital projects now is seen as beneficial because interest rates are still at historic lows. Additionally, unlike the District’s annual capital spending, New York State will contribute up to 29% of the cost of bond projects within State-defined parameters. “The timing of the initiatives will also minimize the impact to taxpayers because debt payments from any new borrowing replace a similar amount of retiring debt service, thus the term debt-neutral,” Assistant Superintendent for Business and Operations Carol Stein said.
“The Board of Education and District administration encourages the participation of stakeholders and looks to provide clear and timely information to the community as we move towards finalizing the capital bond proposal,” said BOE President Michael Hanna.
To better understand future presentations, please visit these earlier public presentations on the capital project planning:
• Updated Capital Project Q & A - 02/15/2019
• Timeline of public bond information meetings
• Building and Grounds Committee Report 12/04/2018
• Capital Project Planning Presentation 09/04/2018
• Capital Project Planning Presentation 06/19/2018
• 2018-19 Budget Development Presentation 02/06/2018
• Overview letter from the Superintendent of Schools and the Board of Education President 01/04/2019
• Pre-Bond Board Update Presentation 01/08/2019
• Capital Project Update Presentation 01/15/2019
• Board of Education Capital Project Presentation 02/07/2019
• Board of Education Capital Project Video 02/07/2019
• Special BOE Meeting to Discuss the Proposed Capital Project on 02/26/19